I hoped to spend this summer improving my swimming ability, since at present, my front crawl looks a bit like drowning. However, I could not find a swim instructor in time, so that plan fell through.
With all these complications, I think that my best option right now seems to be building a base for future activities. I detailed my current plan below, with the silly little names I give them as a way to get excited for them.
Up & At'em
5-7 times per week
This consists of 5x15 kettlebell swings superset with Tim Anderson's Original Strength, get-ups, goblet squats, and breakfalls, then finished with suitcase carries or waiter walks.
The point of this workout is to get the bare minimum completed for the day, and to work on general movement quality.
Explorer
3-5 times per week
This is the main endurance training that I do currently. On a normal week, this includes three ~10 mile bike rides done at an easy pace and one or two hard runs. The runs can be anything from tempo/threshold runs, fartleks, intervals, or hill sprints. It just kind of depends on the week.
I usually do this in the morning, the bike rides are part of my commute to work which let me bypass a lot of the traffic. I have a short ride to meet up with my wife after work, so I don't have to complete the longer ride again.
I also try to do an additional ruck, hike, or other outdoor activity on the weekends. I do this instead of a long run or ride since I don't have any specific goals at this time.
Daily Work
3-7 times per week
This ideally consists of three sets of pushups and pullups spread out throughout the day, along with some mobility work as needed
Adventurer
2-4 times per week
This is the closest thing to a strength program that I have been doing recently. My schedule has been too chaotic and I just haven't really wanted to pursue any specific program.
It consists of two workouts each done 1-2 times per week.
A) warm-up with kettlebell halos
Monkey Bars, 15-30 Jumps, and Ladder climbs
B) warm-up with squats (typically overhead)
15-30 medicine ball throws and Heavy Loaded Carries
The "A" workout is currently done in lieu of going rock climbing. It is a little difficult to create a workout that has the same sense of play and excitement as climbing. This doesn't really achieve that, but it is probably the closest that I can get right now.
The "B" workout is being done as a bit of an experiment, to see how much strength can be gained just through heavy carries. Right now I am usually using a 150 lbs sandbag and 2x100 lbs farmer handles. I used to be able to move a 200 lbs sandbag but after a few bad years of training, I need to build back up to that. In addition, I have to climb a steep hill to get out of my driveway which lowers the weight I can use on most days
I have been fiddling around for a few months to figure out a routine that I could reasonably do. We live fairly far out of town, so I have to ride with my wife a bit into town before jumping out onto my bike. As her work schedule is pretty inflexible, that controls when I leave in the morning and when I need to meet up with her after work. In January, I had to adjust to a radically different (but much more enjoyable) schedule while also preparing for a kid. It has been a bit of a slow process.
I often have other often very random constraints on what I can do and when, so I have been pretty happy with a program this modular.
In addition, I like to leave time to go for walks and do stretches with my wife, as these are really helpful for her right now.
I think that this routine should cover most of my bases while leaving room for flexibility and time/energy to go on adventures during the weekend or sometimes after work.
No comments:
Post a Comment